24 Jul 2009

A Yellow, Yellow Sun

O, my friendship has been like a yellow, yellow sun,
But is eclipsed by your elusive appearance.
O, my friendship has been like a sweet, sweet bun,
But is consumed by your successive indifference.

As selfish are you, my utilitarian friend,
So deep in disappointment am I,
That I will not give you a red envolope, my friend,
Till all the seas go dry.

Till all the seas go dry, my friend,
And the rocks melt with the sun!
And I won't give it to you still, my friend,
While the sands of life shall run.

And fare you well, my SINCERE FRIEND,
And fare you well forever!
And we'll never talk again, my FRIEND,
Unless the imbalanced friendship is over!


I've endured the fact that my cell number only appears in your contact list when you need my help. But after not hearing from you at all for more than two years, today the way you started your greeting really irritated me - "Hey, my mum said everyone in their life should have a lawyer friend or at least a friend graduated from Law school. So, today when I got my legal problem, I think about you right away. And oh! By the way, I may need your address soon since I am going to get married next year. You know who I am, right?!..."

You may just try to be funny and you may say I have no sense of humour, but I didn't feel amused at all!

After trying hard to hide my disappointment and measuring the frequency of your sincere phone calls during the past five years in my head, I could only offer you very limited information about your legal problem.

I know you may not read this. But just don't bother if you are trying to send me your wedding invitation and ask for a red envelope. Cos there will be no money in my envelope but my blessing and what I just wrote above!


1 comment:

GJM said...

That's a very poignant blog entry, Evelyn. I can identify with your feelings and I think the person who sent the email doesn't deserve your friendship.

As always, very well written.