9 Oct 2008

The interpretation of friendship

There is a Chinese idiom as "Like attracts like" trying to say that we will make friends with people who are the same or at least similar to us. But what kind of similarity does it mean? Can the idiom be proved between my best friend, Karen, and me?

If I start to look over the similarities between Karen and me from our appearance, well, I admit I was shocked a little bit when I saw Karen in her extremely colourful pink heels. It is just not the pink that will be on the list of my Top 50 colours of heels. But don’t get the heels wrong. Karl Lagerfeld, one of the most influential fashion designers, will agree that a pair of heels, like Karen’s, with a candy-like colour and covered with a layer of sparkling syrup was a must of the year. Honestly, I have only seen a few girls looking good in it and for some unknown reasons Karen did look gorgeous and stylish.

Compared to Karen’s wardrobe, mine is quite boring because the styles and colours of my clothing are all quite simple and similar to each other. I don’t know what kind of style my clothing is. But if someone can put more fabric on Britney Spears’s clothes, I will be very open-minded and love to give them a try.

Even though Karen and I have totally different tastes in fashion, it just also explains why Karen is always a good shopping partner - I do not need to worry that I will have to fight for a short skirt with her.

I like Japanese food, but Karen doesn't. She is good at mathematics and can do big sums in her head very quickly, but I am even too lazy to take out my cell phone to do the calculation. She also has the talent to make incredibly ingenious birthday cards or presents with her hands, but I can only knit clumsily my boyfriend a scarf with holes.

A man who is an American-born Chinese and with a real accent is like a powerful magnet to Karen, but for me, ok, I admit that a tall man will make me want to know him and ask him if the air above is fresher.

Karen is sometimes too nice to reject others' unreasonable request or is easy to compromise after some marathon-like persuasions, but I am usually the kind of person who will still do what I want when I have already made up my mind.

Am I feeling bemused if I have something in common or at least similar to Karen? Well, not at all.

We will get very excited if we find each other a pair of heels that she/I feel it has my/her name on it. If we both like the heels, it means that it may gain some compliments even from different styles of fashion lovers.

Because of being attracted by different types of men, we are somehow equipped not the same, but quite similar radars that enable us to detect if an American-born Chinese or a tall man is a wanker and try to remind each other.

We have a similar personality that like to be thoughtful to people. Karen will provide a good and creative idea for me if I don't want to knit my boyfriend a scarf with holes as a birthday present. She will always do the math for me even before I try to take out my cell phone.

Some female friends I know will call or meet their best friends almost everyday even there is only what kind of food they had that they can talk about. Luckily, Karen and I have similar ideas that we will need some space for ourselves.

I don't feel embarrassed or uncomfortable at all if we sit in a starbucks and have our coffee quietly. She will understand that it is not because we have nothing interesting to share or to gossip about.

If smiles can be marked into different sizes like clothes, I think we will have a similar size of smile - XL. Except Japanese food, Karen will love to have a food safari with me. We both like to be a teacher if she needs someone to teach her how to be defiant or if I want to learn how to use my brake when I am too anxious about something I can't control.

As a law school student, I have been taught and required to be capable of interpreting laws from different points of view. Similarity literally and logically seems to imply that there must be something different. But I am just wondering if the concept of difference and similarity will always be contradictive to each other. As far as friendship is concerned, I think I will try to interpret and believe that differences may become the components that constitute similarities in friendship. I am not sure if my professor will agree with my interpretation, but I know at least Karen will.

No comments: