31 Dec 2008

A period of repeat

Every year around this time, from one week before Christmas until the last day of the year, I call it a period of repeat. It's a period that someone seems to press the "repeat last year" button for all of us. (If you can rewind your life to every year around this time, you might understand what I mean.)

The period starts from playing "Last Christmas", "Do they know it's Christmas", or "I wish it could be Christmas everyday" as a prelude. We will never get a chance to remember which one was played first to remind us it's Christmas time. Because those songs were played repeatedly until we got confused.

After Christmas, although it depends, most of us will feel content but also a little melancholy in a certain way. Therefore, not an excuse to gain some weight but to cure ourselves of the depression and also make it more festival under such a cold season, we drink and eat more. After the "treatment", we might not be cured completely but at least will always have something for our New Year's resolutions - will reduce circumference of thighs by 2 inches. Then, here comes the must-repeat line, "5...4...3...2...1, (You know what to say next...)"

As for one of personal repeated lines of my family every year around this time, my mum's is "Oh, so fast! It's another year?! can't believe it!", my dad's is "Any special place you want to go today?" and my middle sister's is "Dear mum and dad, I will stay at my friend's place for the following two days."

This kind of repeat never really annoys me, not like the red big zit on my right cheek again now. Because although many things may be the same every year during this time, I can still have everything the same differently.

For example, this year, I helped my mum cook a roast chicken instead of steak for Christmas Eve's dinner, spent some time having a cup of tea with my best friend, Gina, on Christmas Day instead of being with a group of friends, enjoyed a quiet evening instead of a strident dinner on New Year' Eve.

And the difference of my New Year's resolutions this year is I only have one resolution - will try to live a simple happy life. Although simple doesn't seem to mean easy when it comes to life, New Year's resolutions are never something easy I think.

Bye, my roller-coaster-like 2008 and hello, the foreseeable unknown and poor 2009!



No comments: