12 Dec 2008

All they need is a bicycle, a scooter or...some reindeers

As usual, I tried to find something interesting to entertain me when I was doing my lunch. And I couldn't help to write this immediately after watching it. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7778553.stm) It's about some delivering staff complaining they are being bullied into walking at four miles an hour to help meet delivery times.



Who has the privilege to see me being very sluttish with my tousled hair and wearing my pajamas in the morning when I just get up? Well, besides my family and my boyfriend (if I have one), it's a postman in Taiwan!

Sometimes the door bell rang when I just got up and my mum was busy speaking on the phone or doing something that she really couldn't get down stairs to get the mails from the postman herself. Then she would raise her right eyebrow to deliver a quiet but firm order to me - "get down stairs to get the mails NOW." Since I have always tried to be a very considerate daughter and there was no way to say no, I usually prayed not to meet any friends or neighbours and ran like an Olympic sprinter during the whole process.

Although I got down stairs so many times with my sleepy face and hardly open eyes, I am still quite sure the postmen in Taiwan all accessorize with a scooter. I can always remember seeing their green scooters lying docilely aside waiting for their masters to keep taking them for a walk.

Even a small country like Taiwan the postmen need a scooter to help them. I am quite surprised that postmen in the UK deliver mails to one's home all by walking?!

Of course I understand it's the busiest time of a year for postmen and I do have sympathy for them. But I thought the situation is not hard to tackle and there are many resolutions instead of delicately calculating the realistic speed.

It's just a little weird and funny for me.

No comments: