16 Jul 2008

What can a notebook tell?

In an internal meeting early this morning, all employees of my division were required to attend. As an intern in Technology Transfer and Service Center at Industrial Technology Research Institute,this is my first time to join in a formal meeting here. I was prepared, well, actually I didn't have to prepare for anything for this time since I just started my internship last week. With my curiosity and excitement, I got there on time.

After finding myself a understated seat and glancing round the conference room, I suddenly noticed something funny and embarrassing. Why was I the only person with a red and slim notebook which has a cat on the cover showing its queer attitude to ask for kisses while others all carry a fat and big "brick"?

When I was a girl, I used to wish that one day I'll become a successful lawyer wearing a fitted ARMANI black business suit and black patent leather heels. I thought that was very cool to be a pretty and professional business woman and help people with my legal advice at the same time. But among my limited working experience, it is sometimes annoying that there are always some dress codes to obey and they will even give you a professional yellow pad that have their name printed on it and force you to take notes with it. I know that a law firm needs to be attractive to their clients and it is always true that splendid appearances win a better impression. But after getting clients inside the firm, then? Anyway, the meeting was quite boring and after seeing a colleague's amusing drawings of my boss wearing a green hat in her brick, I am more convinced that it's the thing on our neck that matters, not our fancy business suits or our professional notebooks. Besides, I thought this is our client's or the market's choice to decide whether they want to hire a stupid but wearing luxury suits and heels lawyer or an intelligent but just neatly dressed lawyer.

So, dear boss, can I wear my mini skirt next Monday?

No comments: