11 Nov 2008

What will my wedding and wedding reception be?

Besides eating our own birthday cake, receiving a wedding reception invitation in our own names is also a very obvious way to notice we are getting older. Yesterday was the third time since I have begun to attend not my dad or mum's but my own friend's wedding reception.

When I was a little girl, I was always very excited about attending a wedding reception to congratulate the newlywed with my parents. If you asked me then what kind of wedding I wanted, I would probably answered that except a pumpkin coach, I wanted every fascinating thing that Cinderella had. Yes, it included a delicate pair of glass slippers.

In my adolescence, my dad asked me more often whether I wanted to go to his friend's wedding reception with him when my mum couldn't keep him company. Being a teenager, who would rather spend more time with her friends, I said yes selectively. It depended on if the food would be good or not and if the place of the reception would be beautiful or not.

Attending a reception was like having certain kind of internship for me at that time. I took it as a great chance to learn some experience. I also regarded myself as a wedding reception commentator. I would try to mark everything during the reception and muttered to my dad. My comments and conclusions were usually something like these, "Don't you think the decoration of the whole reception is a little tatty?", "I want to make a short video or a slide show at least about how my husband and I met. What do you think?", "Oh no, the gown doesn't suit the bride. It makes her butt look even bigger.", "Wow! What a gorgeous and elegant gown. Remind me I would have the same one when I get married.", "Where do you think will be perfect for my wedding reception?" or "I am between Chinese and Western style now. It's such a difficult decision!"

Instead of discussing or arguing with me then, now I understand why my dad usually chose to remain silent and merely smiled at my comments and conclusions. Not only because I amused him in a certain way but I think he knew I was still living in a castle with Cinderella at that time and will have totally different ideas about my wedding or wedding reception when I really get married.

After starting to attend my own friends' wedding receptions, I still can't help to continue my amateur job, being a wedding reception commentator. But without my dad being a good listener next to me, I can only murmur to myself now. Because I am wondering if people will be like my dad, who will understand I am just doing it for fun and still wish my friend will live happily ever after from the very bottom of my heart.

When I am getting older and older, my dream wedding and wedding reception become simpler and simpler. Besides a pumpkin coach, I can compromise on not having a pair of glass slippers now.

Although I am still not sure how simple they will be, it's really unnecessary and silly for me to worry about them now. Because just like my mum and dad said, I will have to start from finding myself a nice boyfriend first!

Oh god, my dear Prince Charming, where are you?

No comments: